Re: Who pays Debian developement

On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 02:53:46PM -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Tuesday, January 31, 2023 05:34:49 AM Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:
> > > There are also individuals making such donations.
> > >
> > > That being said, these donations can't be used to pay a Developer for
> > > its work in the project.
>
> That being said, there are certainly developers out there, who are working
> on company time, to make contributions to Debian (and other) open source
> software.  And folks at places that host the work - like the OSU OSL - are
> certainly drawing salaries from their parent institutions.  I expect a lot
> of that work is grant funded.

And there are enough free software (excuse me if I prefer that spelling)
friendly companies. Redhat pours a lot into Linux kernel development,
which makes Debian better; many Canonical employees have been also Debian
developers; Freexian [1] has a business model which benefits Debian,
yadda, yadda. Then there are those companies selling pre-installed hardware
(System76, around here it's Tuxedo). Then more education oriented
(Linux hotel, again, around here).

It's not for lack of choices.

Cheers

[1] https://www.freexian.com/