Re: laptop freezes randomly - please help!! dell xps 15 with debian testing

On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 9:42 AM Shalom Ben-Zvii Kazaz <shalom938@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 6:00 PM Alexandre Rossi <niol@zincube.net> wrote:
Hi,

> In the past week my laptop freezes randomly, I can say it happens every 2-3
> hours. but there are actions that consistently always cause a freeze, like
> opening Zoom or executing lspci in Terminator.

I would suggest:
- try to get more debugging info using SysRQ keys [1]
- try to get more debugging info using netconsole[2] (needs wired connection)
- try another OS (Ubuntu live CD, Windows) to rule out hardware problem

following the suggestion to try another OS i booted the computer with ubuntu 22.4 live usb, i'm working with since yesterday with no issues. i have enough memory so i installed some of the applications i use like slack,zoom,terminator and more, i even installed intellij idea and worked on my project for hours. zoom works with video ,slack works, there is no freeze , the computer is up with ubuntu 22.4 for almost 24 hours and everything looks ok.
So i guess there is no hardware problem.
So i don't know what to do, I'm thinking to reinstall debian but I'm not sure the problem will disappear because it may be something with the kernel of some package.

Try booting with Debian 11 Bullseye live images. https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/11.6.0-live+nonfree/amd64/iso-hybrid/ If all your hardware works with Bullseye then go with it. Debian testing is nice but it can from time to time get hosed. Since you have been running testing since Bullseye was in testing it should be good to go for you.

I have debian testing running on AMD Ryzen 7 4700U with Radeon Graphics with 16 Gig's of RAM and I have had some shell crashes recently. The background turns grey and everything freezes except the mouse. I am able to switch to a command line terminal without issue. TOP and free -h both show that I have lots of available resources and there isn't any one run away process using all my resources.

I am also having a problem with KDE's instant messenger complaining that I do not have kaccounts-integration installed. I tried reinstalling it and it still reports that it is not installed. Trying to launch "Instant Messaging Settings" caused the system shell to crash and appear to be locked up. The mouse still moves just fine.

I would move to Bullseye but I need Firmware in Bookworm to run my Sound and WiFi. I am not a fan of backports, I have never had a good experience with it. Installing software with backports is no trouble but keeping them up to date is an issue because it does not automatically want to install newer versions even when the package was installed form backports.

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/