Re: Passwords

On 1/17/23 01:01, David wrote:
Morning All,

I have forgotten my password to a Debian PC using an SD stick as it's
main drive.

Looking on the internet it says the passwords are stored in /etc/passwd
and /etc/shadow

The password string in /etc/shadow looks as if it's encoded, how can I
read this string?

David.

.
TBH, you can't, its a one way hash, add a "single" to the grub boot line which should give you a text shell, from which you can set a new root pw. Make it hard for the hackers, minimum 20 characters, every character you add, multiplies the effort they have to use to find it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis