Re: Bitlbee user

On 2023-01-17 at 09:49, Richmond wrote:

> Why is there a user called bitlbee on my system (nologin) when
> bitlbee is not installed?
>
> Also there is a user saned but sane is not installed.

At a guess: because those packages were installed at some point in the
past.

Typically, when a package creates a user for its programs to run as,
that user is not removed or otherwise cleaned up when the package is
removed. The reason is that the filesystem may still contain files or
directories which are owned by that user, and if the user were removed,
the record of who owned those files or directories would be lost; they
would show up as owned only by the numeric UID/GID, with no record
remaining of who those IDs corresponded to.

--
   The Wanderer