Re: How can I check (and run) if an *.exe is a DOS or a Windowsprogram?

On 1/7/23 12:25, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Sat, Jan 07, 2023 at 08:47:09AM -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:
If I remember correctly, dos and windows .com and .exe programs all have
control-z as their first character.  The file command may also help.

No. Control-Z (aka 0x1a) was an EOF character under DOS. Files were
(sometimes...) terminated with that. Hilarity ensued when there was
stuff after that (DOS/Windows was very hilarious, for some value of
hilarious).

Cheers

You are being too kind, Tomas. That DOS was not the least bit entertaining. :(> That was the best reason to skip it, I went from amigados 3.9 to rh5.0, never regretted missing the DOS experience, I got my fill of it as the CE at a tv station back in the day.

Take care, stay warm and well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis