Re: How can I check (and run) if an *.exe is a DOS or a Windows program?

On Sat, 2023-01-07 at 08:47 -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> If I remember correctly, dos and windows .com and .exe programs all have
> control-z as their first character.  The file command may also help.

If I remember correctly, COM files have no header, the first byte is
the first machine code instruction of the program, and it expects to be
loaded at address 100h in memory. (As CP/M did).

EXE files start with the ASICI chars 'M' and 'Z' (not sure on order).
And they'll be some header information too, I beleive. It'll all be in
a wikidepdia article I'm sure.

Yep, I remembered correctly...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COM_file
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOS_MZ_executable

And there seems to be a newer format used when Windows was
introduced...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Executable

--
Tixy