Re: Printer weirdness

On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 13:02:28 +0100
Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

> 1st question:
> Although there are no printers configured in CUPS, LibreOffice does
> see and can use the printers. My idea is, that Libreoffice is using
> its owb printer drivers, can that be, does someone know more?
>
> 2nd question:
> When installed with CUPS, there appear TWO pronters, one (for
> example) is called "DCP-125J" and the other one "DCP-125J_debian".
> However, only one of the entries is working (the one without
> "_debian". Where does it get its name? Both printers appear also in
> CUPS, but they do NOT appear in the printer sections of the
> "systemsettings" in KDE.
>
> So, when connected TWO printers, the user has to choose of FOUR
> entries.
>
> How can that be fixed, ifat all?
>

> 3rd question:
> The same appears with the scanner. When I start XSANE, then I get
> FOUR entries to chose: one name ending with the IP-addresse (the
> scanner is connected by LAN) marked, one without IP, one starting
> with the string "ecl:...." and one starting with "ipp:....". Whilst
> two of them I can explain myself, only two of the entries are
> working, the one starting "ecl:...." and the pone with the IP.
>
> The IPP-entry is clear for me, it is for internet printing, but last
> one is NOT explainable and is lookinbg for me as an unnecessary
> double entry like it appears at the printers.
>
> How can I fix this?

I suspect that your customer's printers are so-called "driverless"
printers, and that they are advertising themselves via Apple's Bonjour
protocol, implemented in Linux by the avahi packages.

If so, you can see what avahi has found with:

avahi-browse -art

or avahi-discover.

If that is correct, I wouldn't worry about the duplicate entries for
the printers.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com