Re: single quote "'" in bash xterm or lxterminal

On Sun, Dec 24, 2023 at 09:01:09AM +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:
> On 24/12/2023 07:32, Mike McClain wrote:
> > when I
> > type a single quote "'" in bash xterm or lxterminal nothing shows.
>
> May it happen that you have dead keys in your keyboard configuration to type
> characters with accents? I have never used this feature, so my guess may be
> wrong. What happens if you type single quote twice "''"? What happens if it
> is followed by a letter "'a"?
>
>     cat /etc/default/keyboard
>
> What is reported by "xev" in response to the "'" key?

If it were a "dead keys" feature in the keyboard driver, I would expect
that to affect his text editor as well as his shell.  But he claimed
that this behavior occurs only in the shell.  That makes me think it's
a readline key binding that has been mangled.