Re: difference in seconds between two formatted dates ...

On Wed, Dec 20, 2023 at 12:00:29AM -0600, David Wright wrote:

[...]

> Yes, I'm guessing that the OP is in my timezone, as just a few of
> their previous posts have -5/-6 offsets. But most are +0, and
> I wonder whether the OP ran this code on an all-UTC machine.
> (IDK whether their using gmail is relevant.)

Nitpick and reminder: in UNIX and cousins, the "machine" has no
timezone. It's the executable (and its children, if they don't
change it). See:

  tomas@trotzki:~$ date
  Wed Dec 20 08:24:32 CET 2023
  tomas@trotzki:~$ TZ=Asia/Singapore bash
  tomas@trotzki:~$ date
  Wed Dec 20 15:24:47 +08 2023
  tomas@trotzki:~$ exit

What is /etc/timezone for, then? you may ask.

It's just the default for when you don't pick any.

As to gmail... I rather not think about that (still aching from
my cognitive dissonance to see someone so much trying to protect
himself from intrusion to entrust his communication to the biggest
vacuum cleaner for personal data and human behaviour of known
history, but I disgress).

Cheers