Re: was nvramtool removed from the package repository?

On Sat, Dec 16, 2023 at 02:04:26PM +0000, Albretch Mueller wrote:
> E: Unable to locate package nvramtool

Note to future readers: the actual question was contained in the
Subject: header rather than the body.  The original Subject: header
said, "was nvramtool removed from the package repository?"

To answer that, we can start with packages.debian.org.
<https://packages.debian.org/nvramtool> redirects to
<https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=nvramtool> which tells us:

  Package nvramtool
    buster (oldoldstable) (admin): Read/write coreboot-related NVRAM/CMOS information
    0.0+r3669-2.2+b2: amd64 armel armhf i386

So it clearly was removed after buster.  To find out more, we can
click on the package, and then click "Developer Information".

This takes us to <https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/nvramtool> which
tells us the exact date the package was removed from testing.  We
can click that item to get to
<https://tracker.debian.org/news/1151276/nvramtool-removed-from-testing/>
which tells us *why* it was removed.