Re: differences among amd64 and i386

fuf <fuflono@gmail.com> writes:

> Good day!  Near a half month ago I bought a comp. made into 2011 year
> and didn't knew which Debian12 to put: i386 or amd64?, chose i386 as
> thought that old comp. didn't take amd64.  i386-netinst Debian 12 was
> being installed perfectly,  and later I could to read a disk owned to
> the comp.: CPU Support Processor Intel Sandy Bridge (Dual core / Quad
> core) (optional) TDP 35W / 45W Core Chips PCH Intel® HM65 Memory
> Technology DDR3 1333 MHz Memory DDR3 SO-DIMM X 2 slots Maximum 8 GB In
> BIOS I had read:  Memory 2GB,  Processor Speed  ~2GHz,  Disk 320GB.
>
> I installed amd64-netinst Debian 12 but the bare base (for speed)
> hoping after  to add  all necessary. Of course nothing  couldn't .
> Third time I have installed Xfce and all to be suggested.  Now
> comp. is having  3 Debian 12 and 1 swap partition 4GB.  I  don't
> notice differences among amd64 and i386 but think to pick among
> this. Give advice, what better please? I will add memory if the spare
> slots are, but maybe all busy? There are 2 slots only.   Also, is
> there any simplest way to increase the font at the "bare base" at once
> after login?  Thanks all.  --fuf

If you use:

sudo dmidecode -t memory

It will show you how much memory is in each slot, and the maximum
memory.

I am finding my PC with 2 Gigabytes of RAM performs better with 386 os,
but some things don't work like app images, TOR browser.

This link suggests for example Seamonkey requires 2 GB RAM for the
32-bit version 3 GB RAM for the 64-bit version

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/en/doc/system-requirements