Re: Image handling in mutt

On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 01:41:09PM +0100, Arno Lehmann wrote:
> I do not see the relevance of the discussion about file name extensions,
> types, suffixes for Debian. Even more so as you are at the stage of
> repeating statements without bringing new value. In fact, there seems to be
> no goal with this thread.
>

> I would ask you to continue this discussion elsewhere.

It's on topic, so there's no call to ask for the discussion to be
discontinued here.

The facts are pretty simple:

1) When *sending* email, mutt uses the file's extension to decide which
   MIME type label to give the attached file.

2) When *receiving* email, mutt will use the sender's MIME type label
   to decide how to deal with the attachment.

3) Many other programs besides mutt will also use file extensions to
   determine how to deal with input files.

4) File extensions are used by programs on every operating system.  This
   has been the case since before MS-DOS existed; it continues to this
   day; and it will continue for the foreseeable future.

5) Kernels don't know or care about filename extensions.  However,
   confusing a kernel with a whole operating system is a mistake.
   Programs such as file managers are part of the operating system,
   and file managers almost always care about file extensions.