Re: Unattended Upgrades Ran Anyway.

Dan Ritter wrote:
> Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> On my trusty Thinkpad X30, upgrades are sufficiently taxing that having
>> them run unexpectedly can be a real problem, so I tried to prevent
>> unattended upgrades a few months ago.
>

> I have always preferred the apticron package, which by default
> updates daily and sends an email letting me know that they are
> available, rather than doing the upgrade itself.

  as everyone can have their own reasons for what they are
doing i would not expect anyone else to do what i am but
since we're on the topic.  :)

  i do not run auto updates of any kind for Debian (for
either testing or stable or any other instances i may
have set up).  currently i don't have any oddities out
there running.  instead, each morning i cold start my
computer (i prefer it being off when i am not using it)
and it boots into testing i drag in my new e-mails and
usenet group posts and then fire up the update of the
indexes for the various Debian package repositories it
needs.  after the update finishes then i check to see
what kind of updates are there.  some days i scan the
list and just pull it all and apply them, other days i
will hold certain packages because i don't want to deal
with it that day.  i run a few packages from sid/unstable
but they usually are self-contained enough that i don't
worry about it.

  songbird