Re: ntpsec as server questions

On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 00:20:45 -0500
Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure that is correct. According to RFC 2132, Section 8.3, the
> NTP time server source option is IP addresses, not hostnames. That
> means ISC DHCP docs need to say it resolves a hostname to an IP, or it
> needs to tell people to use IP addresses in accordance with the RFC.
> See <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc2132#section-8.3>.

Well, I don't know about the RFC, but the ISC DHCP server gets along
find with host names. From my /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf:

    option ntp-servers ntp.localdomain, ntp1.localdomain;  # issola, aliased; chaffee, aliased.

I think the server looks the addresses up and transmits the addresses.
My clients see IP addresses, anyway.

> If you try that [using a hostname in NTP server option] with the ISC's
> KEA DHCP (KEA is ISC's rewrite of the old DHCP server), then the
> server fails to start. You must use an IP address for NTP server
> option with KEA DHCP.

Well, that's silly. One of the nice things about using host names is
that you can move the service from one machine to another (as I just
did) and all you have to do is change the alias in your zone file.

I'm not going to look to see if a more recent RFC amends that.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/