Re: Isolated Web Co Session crash Firefox-ESR

On 12/3/23 01:00, jeremy ardley wrote:
On 3/12/23 15:37, Phil Wyett wrote:
Not to regurgitating info here, I will add a link below that will instruct how to adjust or disable oom-killer in a sensible manner if you wish to experiment (your choice and being cautious :-)) if it is in fact the oom-killer algorithm that is the main cause of your issue.

The top output provided earlier seems to show nearly a gigabyte of swap, a tiny part of it used. You are right, though, that adding swap will not improve matters for long.

A small amount of swap probably is a good idea to take care of occasional memory overcommitment. But on an interactive system, swap thrashing that may happen with a (or several) greedy enough processes will kill performance for everything that matters, and if one or more of them is leaking memory, adding swap (or even more memory) will only delay the collapse.

As a reference point Isolated Web Co is an occasional annoyance here on machines with well over 64G memory. I kill it without mercy when it appears to be causing swap.

Regards,
Tom Dial

The issue is not so much Isolated Web Co being terminated, but my entire Mate session being terminated.

I wouldn't have too much problem if OOM-killer hit Firefox. I have done it myself when things got slow.

However, I can't see any valid reason for the Mate session to be assassinated? Or at least be inevitable collateral damage.