Re: Non-delivery reports from postmaster@ewetel.de

On Fri, Dec 1, 2023 at 11:21 PM Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:

> Is anyone else receiving non-delivery report emails from
> postmaster@ewetel.de for every email they post to debian-user? They
> look like this:
>
>     From: postmaster@ewetel.de
>     To: andy@strugglers.net
>     Subject: E-Mail Abweisungsbenachrichtigung / email bounce notification
>
> It goes on to state that the message wasn't delivered because the
> recipient's mailbox is full.
>
> I've received one for every email I've sent to debian-user over the
> last 4 days. Anyone else? If so, can you let
> listmaster@lists.debian.org know?
>
> Naturally, ewetel.de should be rejecting these messages inside the
> SMTP connection if they can't be delivered to their user.
>
> Failing that, they should be sending NDRs to the envelope sender,
> which is the Debian mailing list software, which would then take
> care of unsubscribing the undeliverable address.
>
> It seems to have done the very broken thing of sending an NDR to the
> from address. If that assessment is correct, Debian listmasters will
> need to disable delivery to this subscriber manually.
>
> But, possibly whatever problem it was has fixed itself by now. If
> ewetel were ALSO sending an NDR to the envelope sender then the
> subscriber would have been disabled eventually.

I have not received a NDR for this user. I think I have used
debian-user recently enough that I might encounter one.

When I receive multiple NDRs like that, I forward it to the mailing
list administrator (along with the original message), and ask the user
to be removed from the list. The user can re-subscribe once they clear
up their issues. The list administrator can be reached via
<listmaster@lists.debian.org>.

Jeff