Re: used vs. unused packages installed

For this sort of thing I prefer the aptitude TUI.  Highlight the package
in question and hit 'r' and the list of reverse dependencies appears.
Installed packages will be in bold (also bright white with my terminal
settings).  One can continue up the chain by highlighting one of the
installed reverse dependencies and pressing 'r' again, and so on.

Another trick I have used is to use 'M' to mark the package as
automatically installed, if nothing depends on it then it will be marked
for removal.  Be careful here as a manually installed top level package
you might want to keep such as vim will be marked for removal and all
packages that were automatically installed with it.  To reverse the
proposed removal action, use 'Ctrl-u'.

While I often use apt at the command line, I've been using aptitude
since early 2001 and often prefer its TUI for doing drastic things!

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB