Re: time question, as in ntp?

On 11/30/23 23:04, John Hasler wrote:
Klipper runs on OctoPi, a customized Linux distribution.  As installed
it is set up to use DHCP.  You can either install a DHCP server on your
network and it will just work, or you can figure out how to modify
OctoPi to do things your way.  You seem to be banging your head against
a wall trying to do the latter.

klipper runs on anything armhf or better. OctoPi isn't even on the property here. It only has one address, USB-like from the output of /dev/serial/by-id. Not supported by every controller card maker, but if present, that is a unique string derived from chipid which the stm family of micro's supports. klipper is actually two parts, the controller is reflashed, and the rest of it runs on the pi clone. Mostly python, the housekeeping might run on wintel for all I know.

BTW my network experience goes back to bang paths.  I'm currently using
both hosts files and DHCP.

I'm not surprised John, I've seen your name here and there for decades.

OT:
We had some of the bang paths at WDTV, where I was the CE from 1984 to mid 2002. Then we bought a block of 16 addresses. We had a web page online to dialup folks, served by am amiga, writing the code in ARexx long before PHP came out, months before any other tv station in the country had a web page. I wrote much of that ARexx. A do anything language that had hooks into everything in amigados.

Bill Hawes, who wrote ARexx was stiffed by commode door, making less than 500$ from sales of the language book he sold himself. We were upset that a very talented coder was screwed so badly and I don't think he ever wrote another byte for free, but he had an empty account on vger for a long time.

One thing amigados never had was a cron, so Jim Hines and I wrote EZCron which we published on an amigados list. Instant world wide use. Fun and games and fond memories from 30+ years ago.

/OT:

Take care and stay well John.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)