Re: time question, as in ntp?

On 11/30/23 14:14, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 02:06:16PM -0500, gene heskett wrote:
What I just found is /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf, which if you read it, contains
some examples at the bottom of it, such as:
------------------
#alias {
#  interface "eth0";
#  fixed-address 192.5.5.213;
#  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.255;
#}

#lease {
#  interface "eth0";
#  fixed-address 192.33.137.200;
#  medium "link0 link1";
#  option host-name "andare.swiftmedia.com";
#  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
#  option broadcast-address 192.33.137.255;
#  option routers 192.33.137.250;
#  option domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
#  renew 2 2000/1/12 00:00:01;
#  rebind 2 2000/1/12 00:00:01;
#  expire 2 2000/1/12 00:00:01;
#}
---------

I have no idea what would happen if you uncommented these things on a
system that uses dhclient.  There's a "LEASE DECLARATIONS" section in
dhclient.conf(5) that appears to discuss it, but I've never used it, and
I don't want to make statements based on an extremely brief skim of
the first paragraph.

However, now I'm even more confused.  I thought your system had dhcpcd
installed and running.  Why would it *also* have a configuration file
for dhclient?  These are two completely different DHCP client packages.
I can't imagine why dhcpcd would read this file at all.

.
let me clarify: This buster machine acting like a 3d printer does NOT have dhcpcd installed. No trace of it in /etc Only dhcp. And apparently does have networkmangler, so at present I have no way but sneakernet with a usb key, to get updates of any kind to it, so until I do get it a legit address I'm stuck using nano to edit what actually IS there. The only screen is the printers lcd screen, probably run by KlipperScreen. Its a rockchip board, so I expect if uncovered I'd find a couple open usb ports to plug in a keyboard and mouse, and an hdmi socket to plug a monitor into. If I brick the network, I'll probably have to do that. But I'm a, out of table room, and b, would have to rig it for hoisting to gt a bigger table under it. I have a worn out back and it weighs 80 lbs.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis