Re: Could/should you set Dir::Cache::{pkgcache, srcpkgcache} = ""; if all you are doing is locally downloading dependencies of an installation package?

On Thu 30 Nov 2023 at 21:05:38 (+0000), Albretch Mueller wrote:
>  I also notice repeated copies of {src-, pkgcache}.bin files for each
> downloaded package even though I am downloading them to specific
> subdirectories in order to then install them using dpkg.
>  Do you really need those binaries and cache instructions if you are
> just downloading the installation dependencies? How do you remove,
> disregard those kinds of caching strategies in a graceful way?

Perhaps you could elaborate on the commands you're running.
I don't get "repeated" copies (whatever that means) of
{src-,}pkgcache.bin files when I download packages. Do you
mean the .bin files in /var/cache/apt/ are being overwritten,
or that there are files matching {src-,}pkgcache.bin.* in
that directory, or that you find {src-,}pkgcache.bin files
are being created in other locations?

BTW could you not write part of your post in the Subject line:
in order to respond to that specific part of the post, the
replier has either to top post, or paste the Subject line
back into the correct place. That's ignoring the fact that
many MUAs will truncate the Subject in their index list, so
users won't see what the post is about.

Cheers,
David.