Troubleshooting PS/2 interface issues?

I'm running Trixie/Sid with a stock 6.5.10 kernel, and I have a Centronics Model M keyboard from 1988 (from my very first IBM PC!) which I love. I'm using it with an active PS/2 --> USB converter, which works well enough, but occasionally the keyboard dies and I need to plug the USB adapter back in, so I'd like to be able to plug it directly into my system board PS/2 port. I can sometimes get the keyboard to work when plugged directly into the PS/2 port and I'm in rescue mode / logged into the console, but it never works in an X environment (for me, XFCE).

The fact that it works intermittently from the console makes me think it's a kernel issue, but I don't know how to troubleshoot it at the kernel level. I would love to get it working in X, but I feel like I need to get working consistently in single user mode before I can troubleshoot the issue X seems to be having with the PS/2 interface.

I do have a USB keyboard I can use to do some testing. Can I have both keyboards plugged in at the same time--the model M in the PS/2 port and another USB keyboard connected via USB? I do have "/dev/psaux" in the device tree, and I don't see anything like "/dev/mice" or "/dev/mouse", so I'm assuming the Model M keyboard would be /dev/psaux.

Thanks for any tips, or links to PS/2 interface resources for Linux.

Scott Denlinger