Re: Work environment

On 23/11/2023 04:34, William Torrez Corea wrote:
Why the people use two desktops and one laptop?
What is the purpose?

I could use a main laptop with Debian for software development (write code) and the other two desktop:
  1. Testing
  2. Server

Without any context, it's hard to answer. But there are some possibilities:

* Regardless of any other factor, desktops are bigger than laptops, so there is room for more hard drives, optical drives, more PCI cards etc. Therefore, someone might use a desktop computer for copying optical disks (e.g. two optical drives in the desktop) or they might use it for gaming (e.g. a large GPU in the desktop)

* Typically a laptop is smaller, quieter and more energy efficient than a desktop. Someone might prefer to use the laptop for general office-type work (browsing the web, reading emails etc), while reserving the desktops for occasional use (e.g. a gaming night).

* You mention a work environment, so there could be contractual reasons for maintaining physically separate computers. The computers could be at different classification levels; some of the computers could belong to a customer; some of the computers could have a very particular specification which virtualisation can't represent.

* There could also be an aspect of hand-me-downs. If the three computers are significantly different in age, perhaps the user has upgraded their "workstation" over time, but continued to maintain their existing computers alongside.

* Depending on how we interpret your question, there may even be the possibility that the computers are physically separated. A user might have one desktop in the office, a second desktop in "the lab", while also having a laptop for when they are working from home / on a client site / on the train.

Why have a lot of computers if I can get a laptop workstation?
--

With kindest regards, William.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org