Boot fails to load network or USB, piix4_smbus - SMBus Host Controller, after update to dbus (1.14.10-3) unstable

This may actually be a usrmerge problem, both usrmerge and usr-is-merged (>= 38~) are installed). But I do not know enough about how firmware controllers are loaded during boot to determine which package, dbus or usrmerge, I should submit a bug report to.

We have multiple old (14+ years) Tyan S3950 mobo servers running debian Unstable with various recent kernels, the latest being 6.1.0-3-amd64.

Despite being on the bleeding edge with the unstable distro, this has been a very reliable setup over the years. I love Debian. However, after a recent update, we had to reboot a couple of servers and both booted with NO network or usb console keyboard. ie, completely unusable.

I have been able to mount the failed server HDs on another server and compared dmesg logs from the failed and last successful boots. The failed boots were not detecting the floppy (I told you they were old) and not loading the kernel piix4_smbus driver. These are the key lines present in the earlier good boots and missing from the failed boots:

Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
piix4_smbus 0000:00:02.0: SMBus Host Controller at 0x580, revision 0

A failed boot did not have the above lines and subsequently failed to detect and enable the network interfaces, the console USB keyboard or any other usb devices.

FWIW, the 3ware RAID drivers are still loading fine in the bad boots. So some drivers are still loading.

I think this problem stems from the ongoing Debian move to a merged-/usr system. I have fully and successfully (I thought) installed both the usrmerge and usr-is-merged (>= 38~). The only hint I have is the last dbus package update contained a warning about assuming that a system is fully merged-/usr system "In the case of dbus, the symptom when this assumption is broken is particularly bad (various key system services will not start"...which sums up my problem quite nicely.

I will be happy to submit a formal bug report to the appropriate package using reportbug as soon as someone with way more knowledge than I tells me which package would be more appropriate to receive it. The last thing I want to do is create unnecessary work for anyone in the Debian community.

Thank you in advance for any help in fixing this problem.

--
Andy Dorman
Ironic Design, Inc.