Re: in Debian bookworm /var/log/syslog is empty

John Covici wrote:
> hmmm, I looked at the release notes, but it does not say how to
> restore the old behavior, it just says many files are no longer
> necessary and lists them.  I am using logwatch and that program seems
> to be effected, I would be OK, if I could get logwatch to work
> properly.

rsyslogd.conf controls what logfiles rsyslogd would generate:

*.*			      -/var/log/syslog
auth,authpriv.*         /var/log/auth.log
cron.*             /var/log/cron.log
daemon.*,local7.*       -/var/log/daemon.log
kern.*              -/var/log/kern.log
mail.*              -/var/log/mail.log
user.*              -/var/log/user.log

for example.

Make sure rsyslogd is installed, then read the man page and figure out what you want.

-dsr-