Re: IMAP vs POP was Thunderbird vs Claws Mail

On Sat, 18 Nov 2023 08:58:41 -0800
Peter Ehlert <pb21a@sdi-baja.com> wrote:

> thread back from the dead:
> first, thanks for all of the input and wise suggestions
>
> I am going crazy with Thunderbird, and Claws too.
> Now Claws has a calendar add-on, did not try it but maybe it will
> suffice.
>
> My longtime web and email host support have been struggling to help
> me, Kudos to webmasters dot com
>
> IMP vs POP ...the "web" seems to reverse the definitions! I don't
> know who to trust
>
> I really want to keep messages on their server, space is Not an issue.
>
> Question: with IMAP is it feasible for a mail client to Leave
> messages on the server?

Yes, IMAP is server-oriented, POP3 is single-client oriented. It's not
unusual for me to have my IMAP account open in more than one client
simultaneously.

If you're having problems, it may be to do with the email policy in use
at the server, mostly password authentication.

Standard IMAP port is 143, encrypted is 993 though often 143 will also
accept encryption.

If this area is likely to be the issue, try telnet to the IMAP server
using port 143, you should get back a list of capabilities which may
help. Oddly, though I'm using port 993 to my local server, it does not
return any information from that port, only on 143. Presumably this is
to assist security.

$ telnet myserver 143
Trying 192.168.xx.yy
Connected to myserver.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE
IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.

Any mention of SSL, TLS or AUTH is likely to be important.

> On 8/15/23 09:43, Peter Ehlert wrote:
> >

> > I am a long time user of Thunderbird. No real complaints, but the
> > GUI has been slowly been changed.
> > lately I have been struggling with that, trying to get it to be My
> > Way. Minor success.
> >
> > also the .msf files have gotten Huge and that hinders rapid and
> > easy backups.
> >
> > In the process I would like to do some housekeeping, fix a few
> > filters and rearrange my copious folders.
> >
> > Question: do you folks recommend migrating to Claws Mail?
> > the initial look and feel seems to be familiar and comfortable, but
> > I know little of the history and stability.

It goes back a couple of decades, and was originally a fork of
Sylpheed, which also still exists.

I've used it for at least five years, when I started to find TB too
bloated and slow. I never used its calendar, I have an SQL-based
calendar.

Claws gets occasional bugs, irritating rather than serious e.g.
currently, selecting an email in the list marks it as read, which is not
always what I want, and is not normal behaviour. IMAP does folders,
something that POP3 clients simulate but which really exist on an IMAP
server, and I often want to drag an email to a folder while leaving it
marked unread. It will get fixed.

> > secondly, will I be missing the basic features such as Filters?

No, I'm using quite a lot of filters on two Usenet groups in mine.

Claws cannot compose HTML emails, which may be a showstopper for you.
It can display HTML, though I always use plain text. If I really need
to see HTML, such as when an unsubscribe link is buried in 100K of
useless markup, I use a webmail client. I hate webmail.

--
Joe