Re: approx in debian 12

On Fri, Nov 17, 2023 at 02:02:10PM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Fri, Nov 17, 2023 at 05:18:02PM +0000, Russell L. Harris wrote:
Should we report an error regarding the approx man page which states:

I would not bother filing any cosmetic bug reports against a 12-year-old
upstream man page.

Agreed on that point.  But I suspect that the maintainer is going to
become involved to get approx working in Debian-12.

I searched for "Debian approx apt-cache" and found several users of
apt-cache and apt-cache-ng who reported the packages buggy and
several who expressed appreciation for the stability of approx.

Whatever release of approx I have running on the Debian-9 machine
works flawlessly, but I do hope to upgrade the Debian version on that
machine.  I suppose I could reinstall on my planned replacement, and
see whether approx still works with Debian-11, or go back to
Debian-10, if necessary.

RLH