Re: touchpad buttons sometimes stop working for several seconds

On 16/11/2023 20:59, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

The question is what suppresses software buttons. If this is libinput
that suppresses them (just like it suppressed pointer moves when
typing, while pointer moves are still reported by the kernel), then
this is unrelated to my issue.

I am unsure if kernel is involved at all. It may be device firmware (have you checked for firmware updates?), it may be libinput as the device driver. Perhaps libinput may send some commands to touchpad to suppress generation of events for some interval of time.

Hypotheses:
- Issues are inherent to this model, so Windows users should suffer as well,
- Hardware issues with particular device.

If a dedicated discussion group exists then participants may be more experienced in debugging.

You posted output of xinput and mentioned evtest. I have never used "libinput debug-events", however I would try if this tool may provide more details.

BTW, I often accidentally touch the bottom of the touchpad with the
palm of my hand

I am unsure if you have read relevant parts of libinput docs
https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinput/doc/latest/palm-detection.html

I hope I solved my variant of "buttons does not work for some period of time" by dropping a snippet into xorg.conf.d that enables tap-to-click. For me it is more convenient than clicks in the bottom area. My observation is that hardware click works more reliable if I raise the finger for a moment after moving cursor. However in my case period of clickbuttons inactivity is usually just a few seconds (unless prolonged by repeating clicks). Sometimes clicks are ignored when a finger is at the bottom touchpad edge.