Re: Hardware Advice Wanted: Router

On 15.11.2023 07:56, Stefan Monnier wrote:
This looks too good to be true and raises many red flags.
According to Intel specs [1] for this processor it's 28W of heat to
 dissipate and that is Base Power only, Turbo Boost is whooping 64W(!).
IMO it is impossible to do with fan-less design at this small size, so there
will be at least small fan running at full speed at all time and there has
to be quite beefy heatsink also.
The marketing material does say fairly clearly that there's a fan inside
(it even boasts of it being "efficient" and "low noise", mentioning
"45db").
I wrote that email as a word of caution, because Roberto had mentioned he is looking for the device with the same conditions as OP, which is "no fans".
And this model will be very noisy at all times.

Also my understanding is that this CPU is like the one in many NUCs which
means that its 4.7GHz turbo mode can be used only for *very* short
bursts, so it may be unnecessary to size the heatsink&fan for the full
64W as long as it can withstand it for a long enough "short burst".
And this is why there is no reason to have high power CPU inside.
I expect the CPU temperature to be at 98 degrees Celsius at all times and constant throttling under minimal load.
There is also VRM zone often neglected, most likely it will be air cooled (without heatsink) with temperatures close to 100C at all times and
there is a limit of how much heat a PCB could dissipate until carbonation.
Even NVMe SSD and RAM generate substantial amounts of heat and I doubt this device has the same design as NUC that has extra heatsink under the top cover.
What good will it be if with high probability the device will burn out in 3 months?

Note they also offer a fanless system with somewhat similar specs for
$100 more.  That sounds a lot more atttractive to my ears.
Intel NUC with the same CPU [1] and fan cooling, draws 40-90W from PSU and struggle with throttling, overheating and noise.
And NUCs are usually expected to have much better thermal solution design than its clones.

If I needed a fan-less PC of this form factor I'd look for 10-15W low power CPUs and
refused to buy anything if there is no video review of it, with complete disassembly and temperatures under load,
or at least a complete service manual with accurate pictures of components.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZbYSUwvea0
--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀