Re: Domain name to use on home networks

On 10/30/23 08:19, Pocket wrote:

On 10/30/23 03:54, gene heskett wrote:
On 10/29/23 22:17, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 30/10/2023 00:08, Pocket wrote:
On 10/29/23 12:24, gene heskett wrote:
I have also made a very painfull attempt to change my domainname from coyote.den to home.arpa, and finally reverted that,

Gene, have you posted what exactly you did to switch from coyote.den to home.arpa? You have been told that setting NIS domainname was a wrong direction since you do not manage your hosts through NIS.

NetworkManager keeps updating the /etc/resolv.conf file in my opinion because it is querying the DHCP server.
[ ... ]> cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/GREMLIN.nmconnection
[ipv4]
method=auto
gene@coyote:/etc$  cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/GREMLIN.nmconnection
cat: /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/GREMLIN.nmconnection: No such file or directory

Thats this machine, but applied to the problematic machine it becomes
sudo cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/'Wired connection 1.nmconnection'
which returns:
==========
gene@bananapim55:/etc/systemd$ sudo cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/'Wired connection 1.nmconnection'
[connection]
id=Wired connection 1
uuid=14621305-9887-3c6c-9e50-50894877ab68
type=ethernet
autoconnect-priority=999
interface-name=eth0
timestamp=1698571927

[ethernet]
cloned-mac-address=BE:63:9C:35:DD:4F
duplex=full
speed=1000

[ipv4]
address1=192.168.71.55/24,192.168.71.1
dns=192.168.71.1;
dns-search=hosts;nameserver;

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this is incorrect

nmcli connection modify Network_InterfaceName ipv4.dns-search (searchDomainname- for multiple entry you can use comma)

That needs to be the domain you want to search ie

home.arpa in your case

Not the order of domain resolution, that is what /etc/nsswitch.conf is for.

dns-search=home.arpa;

ipv4.dns-search

List of DNS search domains. Domains starting with a tilde ('~') are considered 'routing' domains and are used only to decide the interface over which a query must be forwarded; they are not used to complete unqualified host names.

When using a DNS plugin that supports Conditional Forwarding or Split DNS, then the search domains specify which name servers to query. This makes the behavior different from running with plain /etc/resolv.conf. For more information see also the dns-priority setting.

When set on a profile that also enabled DHCP, the DNS search list received automatically (option 119 for DHCPv4 and option 24 for DHCPv6) gets merged with the manual list. This can be prevented by setting "ignore-auto-dns". Note that if no DNS searches are configured, the fallback will be derived from the domain from DHCP (option 15).

Format: array of string

https://networkmanager.dev/docs/api/latest/nm-settings-nmcli.html

--
It's not easy to be me