Re: Domain name to use on home networks

On 10/27/23 10:49, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 10:37:12AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
Its in there, for this machine, but on a reboot, the domainname reverts to
"none" Apparently I didn't use the approved systemd way to change it.
from a cat of /etc/hosts:
192.168.71.3    coyote.home.arpa        coyote

What command are you using that shows you the word "none" in its output?
Please show us the shell prompt, the command, and its complete output.

You wrote "domainname" with no spaces above.  That happens to be the name
of an NIS command, domainname(1).  Are you running that?  If so, then
the answer is "stop running domainname".  It's for NIS systems, and I
don't believe you're using NIS.

It's *completely normal* to get this result on a system that doesn't use
NIS:

Define NIS please. I've seen it before. But everybody assumes the whole planet knows every last 3 letter acronym on the planet.
unicorn:~$ domainname
(none)

If you were getting something *other* than this previously, then I'd
say you had a misconfiguration.  Unless you had experimented with NIS
at some point, and had never fully expunged it....

Note that there is also a dnsdomainname(1) command, which is completely
different from domainname(1).  Please read the man page for it, if you
think you would like to use it.

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)