Re: Domain name to use on home networks

On 27 Oct 2023 00:46 -0400, from monnier@iro.umontreal.ca (Stefan Monnier):
>> I would have thought that techies understand its origins, and
>> non-techies are fairly unlikely ever to encounter it.
>
> That's the thing: if you use `home.arpa` for your home network, suddenly
> it's exposed to non-techies, like your friends and family, contrary to
> things like `in-addr.arpa`.

If the IETF Home Networking WG's choice of domain name bothers $you
(for some value of $you), nothing prevents $you from registering a
custom domain name for private internal use and using that instead.
(Registering the domain name naturally ensures that there will be no
naming conflicts at least for the duration of the domain registration
period.)

Technically, it is of course also entirely possible to just make
something up. But making something up comes with clear risks of its
own; both risks of technical and connectivity issues, as well as risks
of confusion. It might be obvious to $you that $you's internal hosts
are *.example.net, but that's _not_ going to be obvious to others.

Using the reserved-for-purpose domain name for its intended purpose
avoids that in situations where one doesn't see the value of actually
paying for a globally unique domain name registration for the purpose.

--
Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”