Re: how to force mounting an entry in fstab on boot?

On Mon, 2023-10-23 at 16:53 +0200, Christoph Brinkhaus wrote:
> Am Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 04:17:11PM +0200 schrieb hw:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an entry in the fstab to mount an NFS share via IPv6.  For
> > unknown reasons, the entry is being ignored on boot, so after booting,
> > I have to log in as root and do a 'mount -a' which mounts the share
> > without problems.
> >
> > The entry in the fstab looks like this:
> >

> > [fd53::11]:/srv/example 		  /home/example/foo	  nfs	  _netdev      0 0
> >

> > I have another case in which machines need to be connected to a
> > particular VLAN to mount home directories.  In case they are not
> > connected to that VLAN, I don't want the boot process to proceed at
> > all because the home directories won't be available.
>
> You might need the "late" option of mount.  Its purpose is to mount when
> prerequisites as the network are available already.

There doesn't seem to a 'late' option in the man pages.  Having
'_netdev' is supposed to make sure that the network is up before
mounting ...

I found this, though:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/349264/fstab-mount-wait-for-network

I'll try that, plus 'defaults'.

> > So how do I force it that the entries in fstab are not being silently
> > ignored?  I want these shares either mounted, like through like 3
> > retries, or booting to stop when they can't be mounted.
> >
> I have never tried to implement things as 3x retries or so.

Well, the retries are not so relevant; I'd expect that to happen
anyway.  But how can I stop the booting when a mount fails?

Alternatively, how can I prevent booting or have the machine becoming
inaccessible when it's not connected to a particular VLAN?  Like the
users can't log in and instead get a message that the computer is
incorrectly connected ...