Re: HP RP2430 RISC sysytem

> But a machine from the early 2000s and contemporary GNU/Linux will
> probably not become a happy couple.

FWIW, I'm running Debian testing on a 2003 Thinkpad X30 and it's working
quite nicely.  Obviously the 1.2GHz Pentium III CPU is a bit sluggish
and the 1GB of RAM makes it very painful to run something like a web
browser, but for a basic window-manager plus xterm and Emacs it's
definitely usable.

AFAICT the RP-2430 has a 650MHz PA-8700.  Not sure how it compares to my
Pentium III, but it's likely somewhat slower at least for non-FP
computations.  OTOH it seems that it can have up to 2GB of RAM, which
would make it more usable than my trusty X30 (I routinely use Firefox
on a 3GB machine, sometimes with a fair number of tabs).

        Stefan