Re: Single-page application [was: debian.org - broken Download link.]

On Mon, Oct 09, 2023 at 07:39:44AM -0700, Mike Castle wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 9, 2023 at 6:11 AM <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
>
> > Gah, no. As a user I hate those with all my guts. Page "state" is
> > distributed in some intransparent way across client and server and
> > there is no way to refer to "something" via an URL.
>
> Many modern SPAs track state via URL, so they can be referenced.  And
> not just as a ?query or #fragment either.

Sometimes they get it right, yes. Most of the time not.

The problem with web "applications" is that every framework seems
intent in reinventing every wheel, in slightly different ways. Web
"programmers" using those frameworks use them in, again, slightly
different ways. The upshot:

 - slightly different UI "languages" for every application
   (e.g. copy-paste works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't,
   yadda, yadda)
 - at the time the fattest bugs are shaken out, the framework
   dies and is replaced by an even chee^H^H^H^H cooler one.

I've been using my $COMPANY's webmail (a single-pager) for a while.
You can change to calender. If you do a reload, you're thrown back
into your inbox.

People put up with this instead of screaming at their provider.

(I discovered there's an IMAP. Thankfully).

Cheers