Re: Does the debian kernel sends the gratuitous arp ?

On Fri, Oct 06, 2023 at 05:52:16PM +0530, Balaji G wrote:
> Hi,
>     I am using "Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)" with kernel version 5.16.12.
> When i do a link up/down i don't see any Gratuitous ARP being sent.

ARP

> # echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eno5np0/arp_notify

Probably transmitted "I tried to enforce ARP notification"

> # ip link set down dev eno5np0
> # ip link set up dev eno5np0

link

> Captured all the packets via tcpdump & the tcpdump is not showing any
> Gratuitous ARP packets.

Why should it?     (Yes, that is a serious question.)

> But, with the same commands i could see the Gratuitous ARP being sent in
> Red hat.9.0 (Plow).

I think more factors have been change as kernel.

> So, please let me know if this is a specific scenario in Debian 11 ??

I state that the OP, Original Poster, is the specific scenario.
Yeah, that is a blunt statement.  Now hear me out.

Gratuitous ARP is "linking" MAC-address and  IP-address.

During `ip link set down dev eno5np0` and `ip link set up dev eno5np0`
are NO IP-addresses involved.

So there is no need for ARP.

I do hope to see a follow-up message like:

   Re-did the test with a static IP-address on the interface
   and indeed see a gratuitous ARP

or some thing like

   To reproduce the missing gratuitous ARP do ...

Yeah, that might reveal more information about dev eno5np0.

> Thanks,
> Balaji

Groeten
Geert Stappers