Re: SMART error messages being sent to the wrong address

On 2023-10-04 02:43, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
On Tue, Oct 3, 2023 at 9:32 PM Gary Dale <gary@extremeground.com> wrote:
I'm running Debian/Bookworm on a headless server. The box has had a
variety of roles and names. At one time it was called fanny after the
groundbreaking rock band and because it had a lot of fans in it. This
latter attribute led to it being made into a file server and renamed
BigData.

The problem I'm having is that SMART error messages are being sent to
root@fanny.<my domain> instead of to me. /etc/aliases has all mail to
root going to me, but because this addressed to root on a machine with a
different name, it goes out and I only get the message when it bounces
(because the machine name no longer exists).

I can't find where the e-mail address is being set. Tracing down the
smartmontools config files didn't turn up any obvious problems.

Can anyone point in the right direction?
If Greg and Charles' suggestions do not work, I would grep for it.

     $ sudo su -
     $ grep -iIR fanny /etc

That should uncover places the old name shows up.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. It looks like it came from /etc/mailname.