Re: XFCE4 without panels

On Tue, 3 Oct 2023 17:20:01 +0100
Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

> Is this a matter of principle for the OP, or does the panel interfere
> with something else? I have three panels, and for me they are the main
> point of running a DE rather than just a window manager. But one of
> them contains an analogue clock and nothing else (because I want it
> wider than the other two panels), and if the OP just wants to get rid
> of the program launchers and other widgets in the usual panel(s), this
> could be done to satisfy the 'at least one panel' requirement. Or a
> CPU monitor or something else useful if the clock isn't wanted. And
> it can be set to auto-hide so you don't even see it unless you
> deliberately tickle it.

Motivation: I came from i3, where I had a "status bar" at the bottom
of the screen. I want that back, and I can use polybar for that. Since
I have a 1920x1080 monitor, and I want icons for my frequently used
apps on the left, vertically. Tint2 will do that. I use XFCE4 for two
reasons: 1) it is one of the least memory hungry window
managers/desktops environments, 2) it has a path toward Wayland, which I
would like to switch to some day.

I believe The XFCE panel will go vertical, but it doesn't work right. I
just want a row of icons, period. But I can't figure out how to make
that happen; I get huge spaces between the icons. If you know how
that's done, let me know.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster