Re: PATH revisited: one PATH to "rule the [Debian] World"

On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 17:45 Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:
> I'd make it all run with one raku from one place, or else I'd
> specify the full path to the special raku that is needed.
>
> Anything else sounds like a great foot-gun left lying around for
> others or myself a week from now.
>
> Perl and Python virtual environments typically have a script which
> sets the path to the interpreter once you enter them, and then
> everything is self-contained from there.

You do not understand the problem, Andy: Debian's package version of
raku is over two years old, and it is NOT installed by default.  My
script uses that raku as a bootstrap to update to the latest release
provided as a Debian package format similar to the manner in which
PostgreSQL can be maintained in its latest state with an out-of-Debian
package location.

Perl, on the other hand, is very current, installed as a default
Debian package, and not changing as fast as raku (improved releases
almost every month). Python is its own weird thing which I ignore as
much as possible.

Cheers!

-Tom