Re: Are people trying to relay mail through my system?

Hi Rick,

On Sun, Sep 24, 2023 at 08:58:04PM -0600, Rick Macdonald wrote:
> 2023-09-24 20:48:37 1qkRDH-001Zqh-1Z ==
> 6626-879-8427-40-rickm=timshel.ca@mail.purecuresol.co R=smarthost
> T=remote_smtp_smarthost defer (-54): retry time not reached for any host for
> 'mail.purecuresol.co'

There isn't anything shown except delivery attempts so we can';t see
how these messages got in to your system. You can see all logs
related to this message with:

# exim4 -Mvl 1qkOYj-001Hnf-2V

and view its headers and body with "-Mvh" and "-Mvb" respectively.
That might give you some more hints.

I note that the destination addresses on these messages are of the form:

    <6626-879-8427-40-rickm=timshel.ca@mail.purecuresol.co>

and your name is Rick Macdonald, so it seems possible to me that
they have sent you an email with their envelope sender set to
<6626-879-8427-40-rickm=timshel.ca@mail.purecuresol.co> which
implies they might have sent it TO <rickm@timshel.ca> (an address
for you encoded in their envelope sender so they can track bounces),
which might be you.

Perhaps your system is trying to send a response to a mail you have
received.

Cheers,
Andy