Re: Letting Windows go: scanning

Op 20-09-2023 om 23:10 schreef Tom Browder:

On Wed, Sep 20, 2023 at 13:37 Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com <mailto:tom.browder@gmail.com>> wrote:

        <mailto:tom.browder@gmail.com> (Tom Browder):
         > > “Laser Jet Pro 400 MFP m425dn”
         >
         > openprinting.org <http://openprinting.org> doesn't seem to
        have heard of it, unfortunately:

         > https://openprinting.org/printers/manufacturer/HP
        <https://openprinting.org/printers/manufacturer/HP>

        Unfortunately you made only the first step and not all.

        Looking at
        https://openprinting.org/driver/hplip/
        <https://openprinting.org/driver/hplip/>

        will lead you via "Supported Devices"-link to
        https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index <https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index>

        At HP's website you'll search and find the information that it
        is Full supported.

                 HP LaserJet 400 MFP m425dn
                         Min HPLIP Version: 3.12.6
                         Chrome OS Support: Yes
                         Driver Plug-in: Yes
                         Supported Level: Full
                         Print Model: Mono
                         Scan PC: Yes

        So, install the required hplip packages for Debian (OpenSource)
        and see that it is supported.

    Thank you, Klaus! I was disappointed I didn't find it because I
    remember having to modify some CUPS driver or interface many years
    ago when I first got the printer. And that was to print. I'm not
    sure I ever got reliable scanning on Linux.

    I'll report back soon.

I got stuck with incompatible package requirements for network use, so I filed a bug report. Their support is active (last release was this year), so I'm hoping for a fix.

Did you install the closed-source plugin? Scanning will not work without it. https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/binary_plugin.html

In the meantime, I do have the two alternatives: (1) scan to USB drive or (2) use my Windows box. Since I'm unhooking my KVM switch setup to make my wife happy (she's a neat freak and I'm not), I'll have to manually unplug KVM cables  from the Debian box to hook up them up to the Windows box, so laziness and the desire for weening from Windows will probably dictate option 1.

There is another very good option: scan to e-mail.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis

https://vandervlis.nl