Re: [a bit OT] Automate a (G o o g l e) search from a list of strings

On Wed, Sep 20, 2023 at 08:35:54PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
> Tom Browder (12023-09-20):
> > What if you used an equilavent script but increased and randomized time
> > between each search string?  Or do you think just the single search is
> > enough to trigger them?
>
> We can try to exercise some common sense, in particular by comparing to
> similar situations. For example, if you take something that does not
> belong to you, but do it at night, when everybody is sleeping and being
> very careful you do not make a step squeak or break the laser beams, is
> it still stealing? I think most people would consider the answer to the
> question whether what you describes breaks Google's terms of use is the
> same.
>
> Now, if your interrogation is whether we think you would get away with
> it. Well, as it is roughly equivalent to asking if I think you are
> smarter than the people at Google, I will respectfully decline to
> answer.

Or possibly Google doesn't care /that/ much. Or even possibly they
welcome the degree of lock-in they achieve in "markets" which usually
are beyond their reach (there was a time when Microsoft was definitely
doing this: their license numbers were so easily guessable that it
almost surely wasn't a honest mistake).

Reality is often even messier :)

Cheers