AW: Debugging initramfs, server hangs during boot process

I have booted on 6.3 and 6.4, both with the same result.
If I boot with 6.1 the prompt for entering the luks passphrase is there and
I can use the machine.
Getting 6.3 using snapshot.debian.org is possible, but also needs some changes on
the packages config. I managed, but this needs additional work to get it right.

I have filed a bug against udev and later vs. nvidia-driver.
Purging nvidia stuff and using nouveau I could also run with 6.3 o 6.4.
After 6.5 came into debian I have tried again with nvidia and it works again.
So for 6.3 and 6.4 I basically couldn't use nvidia. Not sure about 6.2 as this is
not available on debian.

To diagnose the issue I always booted into debian live.
Mounted the encrypted luks partition and modified the initramfs-tools, generated
new initrd-Images and try again and again.
Getting early netconsole to work and fiddling with the initramfs stuff was not so easy for me.
I know that there can be issues running sid, but this was a lot harder than expected.
You have a working system, do an upgrade and boom this system cannot even boot up.

Using debug=x (or whatever value, it doesn't matter) and netconsole=... helped to remedy
this problem.

Sigh, Thomas

-----Original-Nachricht-----