automate resumption of session

I am a writer.  I use Emacs and LaTeX markup on a Debian/XFCE system.
On a typical day, I have in progress three or four articles.  I may
work for several days on a given article.

Each article is in a separate XFCE workspace.  The text for each
article resides in its own directory.  For each article, I keep open
an instance of emacs, a terminal window from which I execute latex and
xdvi, and the xdvi window.

When I leave the office for the day, I typically shut down the
computer.  The next morning, the first order of business is to
recreate the previous working environment or ``session.''  For each
article, this entails:

(1) Click on the appropriate workspace button.

(2) Open an instance of emacs.

(3) In the emacs window, use the mouse to click on the icon to resize
the window.

(4) In emacs, open the file in the document directory.

(5) Open a terminal window.

(6) In the terminal window, use the mouse to click on the icon to
resize the window.

(7) In the terminal, cd to the document directory.

(8) In the terminal, execute ``xdiv ... &'' to display the document.

I would like write a script to automate the process, so that I need
only boot the computer and type RESUME; but my efforts have been
unsuccessful.

RLH