Re: Upgrade to Bookworm, now GNOME keyring dies--no access to stored SSH key passwords

* On 2023 14 Aug 21:29 -0500, Max Nikulin wrote:
> On 14/08/2023 07:30, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > Now, while typing this email all keyring PIDs have vanished!
>
> It may be a way to minimize RAM usage.

I don't think so.  It has been persistent in the past in Buster and
Bullseye with GNOME and is persistent on the laptop which is also
running Bookworm and GNOME.  On this desktop it will rather reliably
shutdown/crash about exactly an hour after logging in with no other
desktop activity, i.e. not opening browsers or other apps.

> The agent may be a socket-activated
> process.
>
>     systemctl --user list-sockets

The lists are virtually identical between the laptop:

$ systemctl --user list-sockets
LISTEN                                   UNIT                        ACTIVATES
/run/user/1000/bus                       dbus.socket                 dbus.service
/run/user/1000/gcr/ssh                   gcr-ssh-agent.socket        gcr-ssh-agent.service
/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.dirmngr           dirmngr.socket              dirmngr.service
/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent         gpg-agent.socket            gpg-agent.service
/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent.browser gpg-agent-browser.socket    gpg-agent.service
/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent.extra   gpg-agent-extra.socket      gpg-agent.service
/run/user/1000/gnupg/S.gpg-agent.ssh     gpg-agent-ssh.socket        gpg-agent.service
/run/user/1000/keyring/control           gnome-keyring-daemon.socket gnome-keyring-daemon.service
/run/user/1000/pipewire-0                pipewire.socket             pipewire.service
/run/user/1000/pk-debconf-socket         pk-debconf-helper.socket    pk-debconf-helper.service
/run/user/1000/pulse/native              pipewire-pulse.socket       pipewire-pulse.service

11 sockets listed.
Pass --all to see loaded but inactive sockets, too.

and the desktop:

[...]
/run/user/1000/snapd-session-agent.socket snapd.session-agent.socket  snapd.session-agent.service

12 sockets listed.
Pass --all to see loaded but inactive sockets, too.

On the desktop gnome-keyring-daemon has not been running for several hours.

> Check owner of $SSH_AUTH_SOCK using ss or lsof. It may give some clue what
> is really happening in your case.

On both systems that environment variable is:

$ echo $SSH_AUTH_SOCK
/run/user/1000/keyring/ssh

> I suggest you to add "f" option to "ps" to see process tree. It may help to
> find details concerning starting of particular agent.

At this point I know the agent will be working normally when I first log
into gnome-shell.  This has been a reliable way to get it started. I
posted to the GNOME discourse about this and was advised to open
separate issues in the keyring Gitlab repository.  They are:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-keyring/-/issues/135
"gnome-keyring-daemon shutting down on Debian 12 shortly after logging
into GNOME Shell "

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-keyring/-/issues/136
"gnome-keyring-daemon fails to restart properly on Debian 12 "

Last night I did some testing with gdb and put my results in issue #135.
In this case the daemon crashed when I logged out of another system,
well short of the hour it will run if left idle.

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB