Re: raid10 access problem

On 9/8/23 20:30, gene heskett wrote:
On 9/8/23 02:24, David Christensen wrote:

My suggestion is to reduce complexity by separating out functionality and putting isolatable chunks into different computers.  A storage server is an obvious candidate.  Similarly, a backup server.  And, a daily driver.  And especially, experiments.  (I expect you have already followed this strategy for your CNC control computers.)

If you lack a suitable machine to dedicate for storage, eBay has a lot of equipment post-COVID.

If you prefer DIY, I have been very pleased with the Fractal Design Define R5 chassis and Ion+ 2 Platinum power supplies I now use for builds.  But, prices have jumped post-COVID.

So, subdivide the services across more boxes, keep each OS instance as close to OOTB as you can, and apply the scientific method to your system administration.  Operations should improve.

I appreciate the diagnosis, which is largely correct, but I'd need to build a separate server room for all that.  And at 88, this midden heap has a 34 year collection of stuff whose only place is the trash bin to anybody else who doesn't appreciate that I do things a wee bit differently, and have been doing so quite successfully despite my lack of formal education. I officially stop at the 8th grade, but I've aced every tech test from 147 on the Iowa test in 1946, 98 on the AFQT in 1952, (that got me 4F'd & screwed out of the GI Bill, they wanted machine gun targets in korea), passed the 1st phone FCC in 1962, became a CET at 123 of 125 correct in 1972. Spent the last 40 years as a broadcast engineer who didn't send stuff out to be fixed, I did it all. But now I'm 21 years retired, I'm 88 for another month yet and fading, having outlived 3 women I've put rings on and 3 of the 6 children they gave me.

It is what it is.  A computer is a tool, and tools should do what they are designed to do.  This particular one could stand more storage but is out of sata ports at 12. I should build another one specifically for amanda and might do exactly that with an arm64 brain.  But I'd need one with enough sata ports that can boot from sata. That narrows the field and raises the price considerably.  Arm64 stuff should not be constrained to credit card sized stuff.   Suggestions welcomed. I'm all ears.

Please "reply to list".

I buy used motherboard/ CPU/ memory combos on eBay for storage servers -- Intel S1200V3RP motherboard, Xeon E3-1200 v3 or v4 series processor, and ECC memory. There are four variants of the S1200V3RP -- L, M, O, and S. I avoid the S1200V3RPM and S1200V3RPO because they only have one PCIe slot. The S1200V3RPS is the most common, and has 2 @ SATA III ports and 4 @ SATA II ports. The S1200V3RPL has 6 @ SATA III ports, but is less common. I have not noticed any difference between the S1200V3RPL SATA III vs. the S1200V3RPS SATA II when using SATA III magnetic HDD's. Prices start around $100:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=71384,71385

I then add an LSI SAS 9207-8i host bus adapter with the "IT mode" firmware (non-RAID), which gives me an additional 8 @ SAS/SATA 6 Gbps ports. Prices are around $40.

David