Re: usrmerge on root NFS will not be run automatically

On Fri, 8 Sep 2023 16:55:23 +0200
zithro <slack@rabbit.lu> wrote:

> On 08 Sep 2023 12:54, Marco wrote:
> >    Warning: NFS detected, /usr/lib/usrmerge/convert-usrmerge will
> > not be run automatically. See #842145 for details.
>
> Read :
> - https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=842145

  “I repeated it a few times. I had to restart various services in between
  retries (I think I restarted everything by the end). Eventually it
  succeeded.”

I tried it 30 times to no avail. The report doesn't offer another
solution.

> - https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1039522

  “instead of converting the client, convert the server first.”

I don't want to convert the server. The server is running fine and
has no issues. I don't have a clue what this has to do with the
server.

  “So there is a workaround when your NFS server is a Linux machine
  and you may use chroot on it, at least.”

The server doesn't run Linux. So also no solution there.

> carefully copy the files over a Linux machine, chroot+convert
> there, then move back to the NFS server.

That is quite an involved task. I didn't expect such fiddling for a
simple OS update. I'm a bit worried that the permissions and owners
go haywire when I copy stuff directly off the server onto a VM and
back onto the server. Is there a recommended procedure or
documentation available?

> Can help:
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/312218/chroot-from-freebsd-to-linux

I cannot install stuff on the server unfortunately.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Marco