Re: bookworm and network connections

On Fri 01 Sep 2023 at 21:31:39 (+0100), Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 14:02:31 -0600 D. R. Evans wrote:
>
> >So how do I fix this so that the networking is configured to work
> >correctly during the boot sequence, as it has always done before?
>
> I had changing ethernet port issues and found that creating
> /etc/systemd/network/99-default.link
>
> with the stanza
>
> --8X-----
>
> [Match]
> MACAddress=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF
> # Substitute the real MAC address
>
> [Link]
> Name=ethN
> # Replace N with something unique (e.g. 0)
>
> --8X---
>
> works well.  I see no reason that creating two stanzas with (I hope) the
> obvious changes, one for each i/f, should fail.
>
> Now somebody's bound to come along and say
>  "No, there's a better way....."

I've no argument with the method of naming the interfaces with more
meaningful and stable names, though the OP's problem seems to have
been not using the new names to disambiguate them. But FTR, just a
couple of niggles:

Renaming an interface (that the kernel likely originally named as eth0
or eth1) to eth0 is a confusing thing to do. Pick a name that can't
clash with anything else: I would avoid anything that the kernel or
udev might choose. Popular choices are lan0, internet0.

A filename like /etc/systemd/network/80-mywired.link avoids overriding
systemd's /lib/systemd/network/99-default.link. I'm not sure why you
would want to override it.

Cheers,
David.