Re: "locate" easier to use than "find"

On 21 Aug 2023 15:56 +0200, from tomas@tuxteam.de:
>> For me command "locate" is easier to use than "find":
>
> They do different things. Locate is much faster, but it only looks
> into file names. Find can do nearly everything, like looking into
> file metadata ("show me all files younger than 12 days" or "owned
> by www-data"), running external programs (e.g. grep), yadda, yadda.

Another downside of locate is that it relies on its database being up
to date.

Depending on what you're trying to do, they may both be equally
useful, or one may be far more useful than the other.

--
Michael Kjörling                     🔗 https://michael.kjorling.se
“Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”