Re: Bookworm boot stacks with black screen after NVIDIA driver installed.

On 16.08.2023 04:06, Juan R.D. Silva wrote:
Hi folks.

Fresh Bookworm install on Dell M4800 Precision with i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz and NVIDIA Quadro K2100M graphic card. No problems install, the system works with the default nouveau driver well enough.

My video card is supported according to NVIDIA.
Information on official Nvidia website suggests otherwise. Last driver version that supports your VGA is 418 release. [1]
Newer driver versions don't mention K2100M on "Supported Products" list.

Debian nvidia-detect advised installation of nvidia-tesla-470-driver available in repo. After installing it the system boot stacks somewhere in the middle with a weird black screen. No access to TTYs, no cursor, no reaction to keyboard. I tried to boot with "nomodeset" in GRUB with no result.
Installation of drivers newer than 418 version wouldn't work. The only thing they will do is blacklist "nouveau".
Version 418 is available in Buster which is current "oldoldstable". [2]
You can try to backport driver from "oldoldstable" to Bookworm. It might be an impossible task due to possible incompatibilities with kernel 6.x
There is also an option to install official driver package from Nvidia.
Or you can install and use Buster.

[1] https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/153717/en-us/
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianOldOldStable

--