Re: Swap size in debain 12

On Sat, Aug 12, 2023 at 04:32:34PM +0200, Erwan David wrote:
> Le 12/08/2023 à 16:24, David Wright a écrit :
> > On Sat 12 Aug 2023 at 15:45:52 (+0200), Erwan David wrote:
> > > Installing a new debian 12 I see that the installer setups a 1G swap
> > > on a 24G RAM laptop.
> > >
> > > Is the hibernation out of swap now ? (I chose to have a biigger swap,
> > > but I find it strange)
> > The arguments are rehearsed in:
> >
> >    https://wiki.debian.org/Swap
> >
> > Cheers,
> > David.
> >

> Not completely : I think I will open a bug (wishlist) against the installer
> : it is complicated to change swap size when you must reduce root partition
> size to do this. So at least a question "will you use suspend/hibernate" at
> install time would be useful (I did not find in the installer how to change
> the sizes so I had to delete bot then recreate them, and it would have been
> complicated on a machine already installed)
>
> --
> Erwan David

Suspend still works on 1G swap, at least for me.

Hibernate is more complicated: some of the newest laptop chipsets don't
seem to hibernate in the same way as older models.

 If you wanted to hibernate fully on some models with smaller amounts of
disk - eg the Chromebooks with 32G or 64G mmc - that would be much harder
too.

You should get the opportunity to check partitioning even on the standard
install and you can then switch to manual partitioning to do this.
The partitioning step comes well before software is installed to the disk.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy CateIf you wanted to hibernate fully on some models with smaller amounts of
disk - eg the Chromebooks with 32G or 64G mmc - that would be much harder
too.

You should get the opportunity to check partitioning even on the standard
install and you can then switch to manual partitioning to do this.
The partitioning step comes well before software is installed to the disk.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater